Meat and Fat breakfast!
If there is one advice that I will have to give people wanting to achieve a better body composition goal is adopting the “Meat & Fat” breakfast. I’ve learned this from my mentor Charles Poliquin and it was a life changer for myself. If you have followed coach Poliquin for a while, you will notice that I have changed the name from his famous “Meat and Nut” breakfast to “Meat and Fat” breakfast not trying to be disrespectful or just different for the sake of it but for a very good reason.
It is a good and very simple reason, people in UK have very poor gut health which leads to many food intolerances.
Nuts are great source of antioxidants and various vitamins, and minerals. Also a group of Chinese scientists recently researched the effects on dietary intake of nuts such as pistacios, pine nuts, almonds etc.. for various health conditions.
Their meta-analysis concluded that nut intake is inversely associated with ischemic heart disease , overall cardiovascular diseae, and all-cause mortality.Here is the study..
As you can see I do agree the nuts in general are great source of nutrients and I am not a food nazi but if they cause inflammation in your gastrointestinal track this will outweighs the benefits from the nutrients they would provide. For the past 4 years I have been testing lots of clients and myself for food intolerances and one or more than one type of nuts are always coming up as a problem. Based on this pattern I now introduce the nuts a bit later in my clients diets once I am happy that they are dropping body fat consistently.
For this reason I would prefer to start my clients on meat and high fat breakfast but nut free.
For those of you that don’t know what the benefits of the “Meat & Fat” breakfast are, they are very simple.
- The meat and nuts breakfast raises both dopamine and acetyl-choline, the two most important neurotransmitters for focus and drive.
- The meat allows for a slow and steady rise in blood sugar.
- A great source of healthy smart fats allows the blood sugar to remain stable for an extended period of time.
- High thermogenic effect- meaning, you burn more calories to digest the food and the heat released from the process will increase naturally your metabolism.
The challenge is always to make the meat tastes good in the morning. I find it a lot easier to indigest the meat in the morning if I have it warm and in the form of patties/ burgers.
But I would prefer to mince the meat myself for two reasons.
- I have full control of what I put into my patties. No preservatives or colour additives, no msg or any BS that supermarkets put in their mince products.
- I can play around with different meats so I get a nice and tasty consistency. To do that I have invested into an electric meat grinder. It is a great investment and life changer. I got this one
Another way to make your “Meat and Fat” breakfast palatable and tasty is by introducing one of my healthy sauces but more importantly the sauce will also provide an opportunity to add your healthy fats for your breakfast.
Here is a recipe for Venison & Pork patties with reduction of vegetable soup. Coffee with MCT oil.
- To make the patties mince some diced venison and pork shoulder meat and mix together with seasoning. Nothing fancy.
- To make the reduction of vegetables soup, simply put some carrots, leeks, celeriac, courgette, celery and water to just cover the vegetables. Then add some seasoning and boil everything for 20-30 min on slow fire. Add some broccoli and cummin for onather 5-7 min. Then put everything in the blender, add some coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil and blend to smooth consistancy. Once it is blend it, you can have it with as a soup or what I did is made a reduction of it by letting the mixture simmer down on very low fire so I don’t kill the extra virgin olive oil. I simmer it down until it becomes very thick so I can use it as a dip. I store in the fridge and only use as much as I need for my breakfast.
- The coffee is just black coffee with 1 table spoon of MCT oil blend together. MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) has got unique properties.
Here are the benefits of using MCT oil in your diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight — since they both make you feel full.
- Specifically reduce stored body fat — since they also raise your metabolic function
- Have more energy
- Think more clearly
- Experience better digestion
- Balance hormone levels
- Improve your mood
- Fight bacterial infection and viruses
- Help you absorb fat-soluble nutrients from various foods.
I know some of you will be total rebellion to the idea of having meat in the morning but from experience I can tell you that the people that I have trained and achieved great results are the people that decided to listen to me and adopt the “Meat and Fat” breakfast. There are those that have resisted to even try this life changing habit by seeking for shortcuts like have eggs or various protein powders for breakfast but they never had achieved great results. By the way I do believe the eggs are good source of nutrients but the same as the nuts they always come up on all food intolerant test as problematic.
I like to reintroduce them at later stage again once I am happy with my clients fat loss results.
My point is that when people are extremely resistant to adopting the right breakfast they don’t realise that they are resistant to the only oppotunity they have to get in shape.
Winston Churchill once had said.
“It is not always about loving what you do but instead some times you should try to learn to love what you do“.
And may be if I am right that the “Meat and Fat” breakfast is your only oportunity to get in the best shape of your life then might be a good idea to try to find ways to love your “Meat and Fat” breakfast instead rejecting it!